Skip to content
Wildlife on our Doorstep
- The Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve is on the outskirts of Johannesburg. Here visitors can view a variety of African wildlife including Buffalo, Rhino, Lion, Cheetah, Wild Dog, Zebra and Wildebeest. www.rhinolion.co.za
- The Cheetah Research Centre. You will be taken on an educational tour of the
King Cheetah’s breeding programme, where these exceptional animals were saved from extinction. www.dewildt.org.za
- The Lion Park where more than 100 lions can be seen including the rare white lion also, Hyenas, cheetahs, wild dogs, wildebeest, springbok, blesbok, zebra and giraffe.
- Pilanesburg National Park, situated 1.5hours drive from Johannesburg, is the
3rd largest game reserve in South Africa. The park covers an area of 137, 000 hectares
and over 200km of gravel roads for game viewing. This unique area is encircled by four rings of hills, a geologically fascinating alkaline complex which was produced by volcanic action some 1 200 million years ago. Africa’s Big 5 can be seen amongst more than 7000 general game animals, and more than 300 birds. Maleria free area. www.pilanesbergnationalpark.co.za
- Next door to Pilanesburg is Sun City, South Africa’s nearest answer to Las Vegas. Set out like a film set of King Solomon’s Mines, the attractions include the Valley of the
Waves, Bridge of Time which erupts every hour, a vast 24 hour casino, theatres, and
2 of Africa’s best golf courses (with crocodiles at the water hazard at the 13th hole). www.sun-city-south-africa.comPilanesburg and Sun City are a busy days outing from Rutland House B&B, you will be advised to leave early with a packed breakfast. Good directions will be supplied.